Thursday, April 17, 2014

Garden Sensory Bin and REAL butterflies!

Our family just received our 10 caterpillars from insectlore.com and I must say we are super excited.  The last time we did this was 2 years ago (last year we did the praying mantises) and our 3 and 4 year old don't remember ever doing this so it is new to them.

To celebrate the beginning of our butterfly journey I stayed up and made a Garden Sensory Bin.

I cut "grass" from green construction paper (we have a possible grass allergy in this house and this is less messy).  The "dirt" is black beans.  I bought an 8 pack of bugs from the dollar store (love the dollar store).  Also the flowers are from the dollar store.  The butterflies I purchased are from one of those tubes and I bought it on insectlore.com to be sent with the butterflies.

I took the flowers and bent the bottom and masking taped it to the bottom of the bin.  Then I layered it this way: black beans, bugs, grass and then I added the butterflies all over.

I didn't expect our real butterflies to be shipped so quickly!  I was very impressed.

Time to hit the library and start a project on butterflies.  That in addition to recycling will be our focus for the end of April and for Earth Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment